An Observation and a Question

Sep 9, 2006

Everytime I get into my car, I have to fasten my seatbelt, as does every person traveling with me. If I am stopped by a law enforcement officer, I will receive a ticket if those seatbelts aren't fastened. It's a safety measure enforced by state law.

If I were to drive a motorcycle, however, there is no seatbelt requirement. And, if I have the appropriate insurance waiver, I can even forgo a helmet. There is no passenger safety restraint or helmet requirement, either.

It seems to me that driving an open-air, two-wheeled vehicle is inherently more dangerous than driving an enclosed passenger vehicle, but the safety requirements seem to be inversed. Why is that?

3 Response to "An Observation and a Question"

Anonymous Says:

Government conspiracy to limit the breeding of non-conformant, risk-attracted individuals by legislating natural selection. The less of us there are, the more risk-averse the population as a whole is, and the less likely it is to rise up against its oppressors.

Leah Says:

I would suppose if your idiot enough to ride a bicycle at 60 miles an hour, they figure it better to let you go without the helmet. One less idiot.
(snicker)

knighton Says:

wicked girl! *snicker*