Deep South

Oct 21, 2008

I'm in Atlanta for a couple nights. The last few times I was here, I didn't get a chance to look around much. But tonight, as I walked to dinner and back, I noticed just how lovely the old homes are and how well builders are adapting new construction to fit right in with the history of the place.

You can't really qualify Texas as "the South." Well, except for East Texas, which has roots closer to Louisiana. But, being here in Georgia feels peaceful and familiar. Like HOME in my mind is made up of century-old oaks and magnolias on gently rolling wooded land surrounding stately brick structures filled with polite gentility.

Either that or I've read too much Margaret Mitchell.

Side note: I've heard three people mention "shrimp & grits" and I'm hoping to get my taste buds on some of that. Last trip it was fried green tomatoes and collard greens - not to be missed.

1 Response to "Deep South"

Anonymous Says:

I am soooo looking forward to my move to the country.
This post made me long to be there. Right. Now.