Bittersweet

Oct 6, 2005

Friday afternoon, my in-laws (who I absolutely adore) will break ground on their new building. This is momentous.

In June 2004, the original building, an historic landmark on the courthouse square, burned to the ground. When we arrived the next morning, it was still smouldering, and the wrecking crew was negotiating the price to tear down what remained. It was an awful day - for them and for us. I can still hear it, see it, smell it. And my mother- and father-in-law relive that terrible day in their dreams.

Groundbreaking is an important milestone - for their recovery and for the restoration of their dreams. We're driving down tomorrow night to share in their joy, and in their sorrow. Nothing can erase those memories or restore what was lost.

At the same time, my friend Elaine will bury her father. Her second daughter was born prematurely two weeks ago and remains in Neonatal ICU. Those of you who have been there know what pain she is going through. I cannot imagine what she is enduring this week.

But, I do know this....in a year it will all look different for her, the same as it does for us. The pain will start to dull and the joy will continue to grow. And years beyond, all the memories will be bittersweet. Life and death. Joy and pain. The circle continues, and it is always bittersweet.

1 Response to "Bittersweet"

Anonymous Says:

Jennifer, I hope your friend Elaine reads this. When my Ethan was in the NICU, it was a very difficult 2 months. There were ups and downs, memories, and things I wish I didn't remember.
Ethan, now 6 and 1/2 is above the 95% in height and weight. He is smart, loving, and giving. I am amazed at how quickly he has grown, and what an amazing young man he is turning out to be.
I pray Elaine's stay in the NICU is shortlived and she comes away with her beautiful baby safely in her arms.