What Was I Thinking?

Jun 1, 2006

Stopping at Dillards, I asked the ladies at the cosmetics counter for a dinner recommendation. Mind you, I have a theory that IF cosmetic-counter-ladies understand the necessity of expensive make-up and designer shoes, they MUST also appreciate fine dining. I overlooked one glaringly important detail: I'm in Podunk, Idaho. You can guess the rest:

Me: "Where can I get a really good salad."

First well-coifed, made-up, high-heeled cosmetic-counter-lady: "Oh...I don't know. Subway makes great salads. You could also try Wendy's."

Second WCMUHHCCL: "Or there's Me & Lou's Family Restaurant across the street."

Me: Great, gaping, awkward pause accompanied by a look of astonished disbelief. "Well. Um. Ok, thanks."

But instead of eating at "Me & Lou's," I drove an hour each way to dine at a known-reliable, gourmet establishment that understands "salad" means more than iceberg lettuce and cherry tomatoes drowned in ranch dressing.

You know what this means, don't you? I've become a salad snob.

5 Response to "What Was I Thinking?"

Anonymous Says:

Ah, no. It means that you've come to adopt a very reasonable standard.

Although, in Maryville Tennessee at Aubreys there's a Buttermilk Garlic Ranch dressing that would survive even a chunk of iceberg lettuce. Its so good, I'd eat it with a spoon.

Hmmm. Now that you've got me thinking about salad dressings, there's a great house dressing at the Copper Cellar in Knoxville. Oddly enough, I'd swear that its a cold cheddar-cheese sauce/dressing.

Leah Says:

Hey, Ron and I were just talking about how if every soup and salad had a drive thru window, we would eat there more.
We are such "Eat in the car" people, I think I'd drive-thru any Jason's Deli, or Souper Salad. Would you?

Jeff Says:

Best Salad Dressing EVER: Martin Bros' Tamari Vinaigrette. Ask someone from Austin in the mid-90's what the best whole-food/organic restaurants were, and Martin Bros' better be in their top three. The brothers closed the restaurant in ... geez, like 2000 or so? But they kept making salad dressings, and it looks like they also sold their recipes to SASS (http://www.freshdressings.com/company/index.htm). You can still find the dressing with their name on it, so i'm a little confused. At any rate, it's perfect on a simple spinach, purple onions, and fresh tomatoes salad. Throw some sliced strawberries and roasted pecans on there for company. (April is a salad snob, too) :] Yum.

Jeff Says:

I was corrected tonight. The salad has romaine, not spinach. The spinach has the strawberries and pecans.

knighton Says:

Spinach + strawberries + pecans = yummy

My favorite is field greens with dried cranberries, walnuts, and blue cheese. drool