Oregon Is a Strange Place

Aug 7, 2007

So, I thought it was odd that you can't pump your own gas in Oregon, but it gets even better:

Yesterday, I paid $2 for a ferry to take me across 50 feet of water. I kid you not. 50 feet! In Texas, we have free ferries to take a hundred cars at a time across miles of open waterways already clogged with other ships.

And, I visited a private boarding school based upon the teachings of Scientology. It is housed in a 1930's art deco building originally built as a Catholic Noviate. Tell me that isn't unsettling.

Also, it's 65 degrees out and foggy. In August. Unreal.

1 Response to "Oregon Is a Strange Place"

Anonymous Says:

LOl! I lived in Oregon a few years ago. A lovely place. Full of liberal tree-hugging liberal hippies. (I say that with love :)

Seriously, if I remember right (which is a big "if"), I think that Oregon is the most un-churched state in the union. Meaning that they have the lowest percentage of Christians. Such a low percentage that there was one church that had been started by a missionary group from Texas!

Out of the entire subdivision we lived in, there were two Protestant families and one Mormon family. That was it.

I also think I remember reading that Oregon is in the Nineth District, which has the interesting distinction of being the district the Supreme Court over-turns the most.

What annoyed me about the gas-pumpers is that they pump your gas but you STILL have to get out of the car to pay for it. Kinda convienent, but not really :(

On the other hand, Oregon has AMAZING farmer's markets. If you travel there much, the yellow cherries are in season the first week of July. They're so good fresh off the tree that some people actually schedule their vacations around that time for that reason :)