Eat Something New Every Day

Dec 7, 2009

Well, maybe not every day, but at least once in a while. Though given my avowed hatred of several popular food items, I really should try to eat something new a few times a week, at least.

In the past week, I have eaten and enjoyed mustard and both black and green olives. Not together, of course. That's disgusting.

First, the mustard. This time every year, Handsome and I get a hankering for sausage and sauerkraut, so we picked up some fresh-made German bratwursts at Sprouts Farmers Market, along with some cabbage and, of course, grainy, brown mustard. Cook it all up; sit down to dinner. I stare at the mustard jar. I should try it. Everyone else I know loves mustard. Maybe I only hate the fake-yellow kind.

So, I taste it and, lo, it is good! Very good. Delicious, actually. So, we has more sausages a couple days later. And I've eaten half a jar of mustard in a week. Go figure.

And now, the olives. I have horrible, horrible memories of my sister chasing me around the house with an olive on each finger; which might explain the hatred of all things olive. Seriously. I won't even buy Extra-virgin olive oil - because it tastes like olives. Anyway, this weekend, we had a pizza with pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, roasted red peppers, onions, two kinds of olives - everything in the kitchen, apparently. And I ate it, olives and all. Without choking. I mean, I could taste the olives, but I didn't want to spit them out - which is my natural reaction when I find them hiding in my food. They weren't bad.

Handsome thinks this isn't an accurate measure of my new-found appreciation for the olive. "Try them on their own, without the benefit of pepperoni and cheese and sauce. I'll bet you still don't like them."

He's probably right. And I'm not going to risk it.

1 Response to "Eat Something New Every Day"

Leah Says:

Hehehe! I'd completely forgotten about the chasing, but I remember the olive on each finger. Good times. Good times.